Sunday, May 20, 2012

Song of the Day: Sunday

They say that deaths come in threes. And while people die every minute of every day, I was more concerned about the musicians who were dying. First MCA with cancer of the salivary glands. Then, there was Donna Summer of lung cancer. Today, I discovered that Robin Gibb died of colon and liver cancer. These three were a musical trifecta of my youth. But, Robin Gibb imprinted on me earliest.

I grew up in the 70s listening to some of everything, much to the chagrin of certain relatives. And disco definitely had a place. I don't remember my introduction to the BeeGees. I just remember being in love with the voices and the harmonies.  As I wrote in my post on Donna Summer, disco hasn't died. This BeeGees song was revived in a weird TV series called "The 10th Kingdom." When I saw this scene, along with the others of the trolls singing and speaking of the "Night Fever," I remembered again why I love this band. There is something happy and enlivening about the music.

Robin Gibb: Thank you for providing soundtrack for my childhood and life. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment