Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Song of the Day: Fat Tuesday

The Lenten Season is upon us. Many of us are scrambling to figure out which habit we will pick up or what we will give up as we prepare ourselves for Easter. And as we approach the beginning, the Pope resigns and we are faced with another conclave that will select another Pope for the Catholic Church.

This is a tense and confusing time. Most people thought Benedict would be Pope until he died, just like Blessed JPII before him. There are those who feel abandoned. But, then there are people who look to the future with optimism. I am one of those.

Nothing against our Pope, but I am hopeful for our next Pope. Maybe this Pope will look more like our global Church, i.e., Latin American, Asian, or African. Maybe there will be a change in how the Church responds to the abuse scandal. Maybe the Church will move toward health and holiness that honors Christ. The possibilities are limitless.

I am not naive. I know what I signed up for in becoming Catholic. I know that I may be hoping in vain. But I think its better to hope in vain than not to hope at all.

This song that was in my head this morning. I love Ellie Goulding. She has a candy floss voice and more talent than she knows what to do with. This song seems appropriate for today, the beginning of Lent, and our upcoming search for a Pope.

No comments:

Post a Comment